Saturday, September 8, 2012

Jack's First Day of School

Jack's first day of school was AMAZING!!  There were days I really struggled with not having put him in some form of school, but this day provided a lot of validation that we made good choices for Jack.  He is in a regular kindergarten class, which also has some special ed help that floats in and out of class.  He loves it!!  People kept asking me if I was going to cry since he is leaving us for the first time.  I really didn't.  It's been six years at home, and that's all I'm saying about that!  What did make me emotional was watching him interact with all of the kids, put himself forward in learning new songs with hand motions (not something he would have done in the past), and answer all of the teacher's questions while sitting on the carpet with all of the other kids.  I cannot say enough how far he has come.  School would not have gone this well last year if we had tried to force him into it.  That's what makes me emotional - watching Jack blossom.  Thinking about how hard it was for him to get there.  Remembering what a blessing that therapy was.

My favorite memory: Jack running up to me and giving me a hug because he had seen all of the other kids say good-bye to their parents.  "I want to give you a hug.  Good-bye, mommy!"  He ran right back to his class and went to go eat his favorite snack.

What I think Jack loves the most:  His very own bus-ride!!

1 comment:

  1. Kelly - I'm so glad to hear that Jack had a successful first week and is enjoying school!! Here's to a great school year. :) - Kelly W.

    ReplyDelete